Defining your ideal client

Defining your ideal client

What is an ideal client?

An ideal client is the most perfect client your brand could have. This person should not only want to use your product/services but is excited to and has the money to pay your rates because they understand the value provided by your brand. This often times is made up with no actual person in mind when setting it. The good part about this is you can start to determine who you want to work with long before you ever book or sell anything.

Some other names for ideal client
  • Best friend
  • Persona
  • Avatar

How do you know who your ideal client is?

The first step is to determine if you service b2b or b2c. If you service b2c then the next things to determine are:

  • Gender
  • Age
  • Location
  • Marital status
  • Parental status
  • Occupation (and income)

Once you have determined this you have your base! But just like this information wouldn’t be all you want to be labeled as your ideal client still needs more substance! To determine the personality of this avatar you need to decide on their:

  • Goals
  • Likes
  • Dislikes
  • Hobbies
  • Beliefs/values

* Some people believe in naming their fictitious person but we don’t think that is necessary.

Having an ideal client allows you to hyper focus your marketing efforts.

Once you have determined who your ideal client is you can cater your marketing to them.

Just like everything else in marketing there’s an 80/20 rule when it comes to marketing to your ideal client. You should advertise to your designated ideal client 80% of the time but the other 20% you can advertise to your ideal clients ”best friend.” This ”best friend” should be a person that your ideal client would hang out with. What this means in a less made up scenario is that the

%d bloggers like this: